Come & join us for a visually stunning, outdoor show Blazing Saddles, performed by a cast of local women cyclists & professional performers, commissioned by Lakes Alive.
Blazing Saddles is a celebration of women & cycling & fashion. The show explores some of the reasons why women do & don’t ride bikes today, contrasting this to the 1890s, and brings people together in a supportive, sociable & fun way, to transform the way people think about cycling.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The show takes the form of short, evolving sequences performed at several locations around Kendal, with short rides in between – further details & map below.
There are two routes:
1. On Sat 8 Sept, the route for two shows by Blazing Saddles performers, is approximately 1km & will take approximately 45 mins.
Shows at 12.15pm & 3pm.
Starting at Abbot Hall Park, to The Brewery Arts Centre, then up Highgate to Finkle St, down the hill to Kent St, onto Kent Place, & along the cycle path back to Abbot Hall Park.
2. On Sun 9 Sept, the route for a show with local participants, is approximately 3km which, with a 30 minute ‘picnic’ on route in Fletcher Park, will take approximately 2 hours, from 11.15am – 1.15pm.
Starting at Abbot Hall Park, to The Brewery Arts Centre, then up Highgate to Market St, down the hill & left onto Stramongate. Across the bridge & right onto the cycle path, passed Goose Holm & Kirkbie Green onto the cycle track through the allotments & into Fletcher Park. Back along Parr Street, over the bridge & back into Abbot Hall Park.
Show info here: Blazing Saddles
JOIN THE BLAZING SADDLES PERFORMANCE CYCLE TOUR
Cyclists, audience members, are invited to meet performers on route, or ride along with the cast & immerse themselves in the action.
Or, PERFORM IN THE SHOW – no experience necessary, rehearsals are on Fri 7th Sept & Sat 8th Sept 5pm – 7pm. Please come to both or one, plus Sunday from 9am, bring your bike & wear black to go underneath a costume.
WHERE TO MEET TO WATCH THE SHOW, SAT 15 SEPT
To join the riders, please meet 5-10 minutes before start time at Abbot Hall Park.
APPROXIMATE TIMINGS AT EACH LOCATION (please arrive 5-10 mins beforehand if you’re meeting us on site)
Sat 8 Sept
11:15am or 2pm show: Abbot Hall Park
11.25am or 2.10pm: The Brewery Arts Centre
11:40am o 2.25pm: Top of Finkle St
11:45am or 2.30pm: Middle of Finkle St
11.50am or 2.35pm: Kent Place cycle path
11:55am or 2.40pm: Abbot Hall Park
FAQs (click here for answers to any questions you may have)
BLAZING SADDLES PERFORMANCE RIDE GUIDELINES – during the Blazing Saddles Performance Ride, I agree to & understand the following:
- Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended for the ride. Not wearing a helmet is entirely at your own risk.
- Bicycles must be road worthy & in good working order. Although there will be experienced riders present & able to help, you are responsible for the upkeep of your bike.
- Cyclists must have a good level of cycling competency to be able to ride safely on the roads & as part of a group, & alongside other road users
- Children are welcome. They must have a good level of cycling competency to be able to ride safely on the roads & remain under the responsibility of parents for the duration of the ride
- The full length of the ride is approximately 2-3 km. Riders can cycle the entire route or just part of the route.
- Riders must assume individual responsibility for their own safety in relation to other road & cycle path users, & abide by the laws of the roads.
- No personal music players to be used during the ride
- Any person participating in the Blazing Saddles/Bicycle Ballet Performance Ride, does so without any liability whatsoever on the part of Blazing Saddles/Bicycle Ballet/KP Projects CIC & those leading the ride on behalf of Blazing Saddles/Bicycle Ballet/KP Projects CIC, in respect of any injury, loss of damage suffered, however caused.
- Any person participating in the Blazing Saddles Performance Ride understands that participation constitutes an agreement that photographs & video taken during the ride, can be used wholly or in part, for promotional & illustrative purposes for Blazing Saddles, Bicycle Ballet, KP Projects CIC & its funders & supporters, including Lakes Alive, Kendal Council, Arts Council England, & others