Come & join us for a visually stunning, outdoor show Blazing Saddles, performed by a cast of local women cyclists & professional performers, commissioned by Pedalling Culture, Milton Keynes & funded by Arts Council England, as part of MK Heritage Open Day.
Blazing Saddles is a celebration of women & cycling & fashion. The show explores some of the reasons why women do & don’t ride bikes today, contrasting this to the 1890s, and brings people together in a supportive, sociable & fun way, to transform the way people think about cycling.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The show takes the form of short, evolving sequences performed at several locations around Newlands & Willen Park, with short rides in between – further details & map below.
The route is approximately 3 miles or 7km & will take approximately 2 hours, from 2pm-4pm. There will be a 20 minute ‘performative picnic’ break on route, in the Tree Cathedral, where riders can bring their own food & drink, or purchase something from the David Lloyd Centre cafe.
Starting outside One4Six Cafe next to Willen Lake, then heading to the Bandstand, the Stone Circle, Peace Pagoda, along the Canal to the Tree Cathedral & back to One4Six & the Bandstand at approximately 4pm.
Show info here: Blazing Saddles
JOIN THE BLAZING SADDLES PERFORMANCE CYCLE TOUR
Cyclists, audience members, are invited to meet performers on route, or ride along with the cast & immerse themselves in the action.
Or, PERFORM IN THE SHOW – no experience necessary, rehearsals 15 & 16 Sept
WHERE TO MEET TO WATCH THE SHOW, SUN 16 SEPT
To join the riders, please meet from 1.45pm outside the One4Six Cafe by the children’s playground next to Willen Lake (MAP Link)
Download the performance route here: Blazing Saddles Performance Route
APPROXIMATE TIMINGS AT EACH LOCATION (please arrive 5-10 mins beforehand if you’re meeting us on site)
1. 14:00 Outside One4Six Cafe
2. 14:05 Bandstand on Willen Lake
3. 14:25 Stone Circle
4. 14:45 Peace Pagoda
6. 15:05 Along the Canal Path
7. 15:15 Tree Cathedral
1. 15:50 Outside One4Six Cafe
2. 16:00 Bandstand on Willen Lake
(click here for answers to any questions you may have)
BLAZING SADDLES PERFORMANCE RIDE GUIDELINES – during the Blazing Saddles Performance Ride, I agree to & understand the following:
- Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended for the ride. Not wearing a helmet is entirely at your own risk.
- Bicycles must be road worthy & in good working order. Although there will be experienced riders present & able to help, you are responsible for the upkeep of your bike.
- Cyclists must have a good level of cycling competency to be able to ride safely on the Redway & as part of a group, & alongside other Redway users
- Children are welcome. They must have a good level of cycling competency to be able to ride safely on the network & remain under the responsibility of parents for the duration of the ride
- The full length of the ride is approximately 3 miles. Riders can cycle the entire route or just part of the route.
- Riders must assume individual responsibility for their own safety in relation to other Redway users, & abide by the laws of the land.
- No personal music players to be used during the ride
- Any person participating in the Blazing Saddles/Bicycle Ballet Performance Ride, does so without any liability whatsoever on the part of Blazing Saddles/Bicycle Ballet/KP Projects CIC & those leading the ride on behalf of Blazing Saddles/Bicycle Ballet/KP Projects CIC, in respect of any injury, loss of damage suffered, however caused.
- Any person participating in the Blazing Saddles Performance Ride understands that participation constitutes an agreement that photographs & video taken during the ride, can be used wholly or in part, for promotional & illustrative purposes for Blazing Saddles, Bicycle Ballet, KP Projects CIC & its funders & supporters, including Pedalling Culture, Milton Keynes Council, Arts Council England, & others